Filament Spool / Reel Adapter

All adapters are designed to fit on the metal spool holder that ships with the snapmaker. Inside diameter of about 8.5mm.

Instructions:

Print:

2 x Bushings
2 x Washers
1 x Adapter to match your Spool

Assemble: bushing, washer, adapter, washer, bushing (depicted in picture & video).

All adapters are designed to fit on the metal spool holder that ships with the snapmaker. Inside diameter of about 8.5mm.

Currently available adapters:

Makerbot .2kg Spool Adapter - 53mm diameter by 30mm wide.
For this spool you will want to use:

2 x 15mm bushings
2 x "Washer"

Snapmaker Spool Adapter - 57mm diameter by 50mm wide.
For this spool you will want to use:

2 x 5.25mm bushings
2 x "Washer"

Hatchbox 1kg Spool Adapter - 54.5mm diameter by 68mm wide.
For this spool you will use:

2 x 5.25mm bushings
1 x "Washer"
1 x "Hatchbox1kgWasher"

Since the Hatchbox spool is wider than the snapmaker spool holder I had to cut out some of the inside of the adapter. This leaves it so you can’t put a washer on the outside of the spool holder like normal. To get around this just super glue the hatchbox1kgwasher onto the outside of the adapter. I will post a picture of this in case the above doesn’t make any sense.

These are the only spools I have, if you want an adapter made for another spool send me the measurements!

These are the only spools I have, if you want an adapter made for another spool send me the measurements!

6 Likes

Allready made such a Thing: The first results

Here some Pictures of my version:

5 Likes

Snapmaker will be my first printer so im curious…are there many different reel sizes used? Like does a 0.5kg and a 1kg spool use the same size reel? Depending on the spool holder design one would need several sizes of them I guess.

Unfortunately there are an infinite number of sizes. This blog post has a good list… it’s a little old but I am sure the issue has only gotten worse lol.

That’s why I kept my design simple. Based on what you need we can just alter the outside diameter and then modify the spacer as needed.

At some point I want to set the design up to work with thingiverse customizer so that it can be modified straight in the customizer app. I have no experience with it yet though.

1 Like

So, basicly, we’ve to design an ‘open’ spool adapter that can be changed in diamater ? :slight_smile:

Maybe something like an ‘I’ shape that could in or decrease in size ?! :slight_smile: I’m not that experienced to design it right away, but it would be fun to make something where every spool would fit !

It sounds like you are onto something. I just started using fusion 360, which is free for hobyists. They have some tutorials on their website that should get you started. The one I posted above was my first drawing after watching the first video. I am sure after watching a few of the videos you should be on your way to be able to have a working drawing for your idea.

1 Like

find a vendor/product which you can be satisfied with, and go from there…

the best price is not always the best deal, at least if you value your own time and frustration…

if the best product does not come on a spool to your liking, (or not on a spool at all), you can always rewind on a spool of choice…

(bulk filament comes in a box)…

many large format 3D printers feed straight from bulk boxes stacked behind the printer…

the large format printers i have seen, (only a few), have larger geared feed motors than desktop printers do…

william…

Updated post. Added adapter for Hatchbox 1kg spool.

1 Like

Added Shaxon 1kg Spool Adapter

1 Like