[First Batch Shipped Out] FAQs of Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module for Snapmaker 2.0

Update Jan 19, 2023

Hi Snapmaker 2.0 Dual Extruder Module owners, most units in the first batch have been sent out. However, the tracking number info has not yet been sent out. Our service team is preparing an email update on the delivery and tracking status, which will be sent to you soon.

BTW, the first batch of the Dual Extruder Module owners will start receiving packages next week. Thank you for waiting patiently. :blush:

Q15: When will my Dual Extrusion Module be shipped out?
A: You can check the shipping date of your order in this article: https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/10430772962455

Hi Makers,

The Snapmaker Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module will be available for pre-order soon! I have collected some questions from our group members about the upcoming product and would like to share the answers with you here. If this FAQ does not cover your questions, you can write your questions under this post or start a new post to discuss with other group members. I will keep updating this FAQ post for Snapmaker Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module.

Without further ado, let’s check out the FAQs:

Q1: How will filament runout detection work? Will both nozzles stop if one runs out?

A: When you print a model only using one nozzle, the working nozzle will stop printing when the filament runout is detected on the working nozzle. The filament runout on the other nozzle won’t affect the working nozzle; When you print a model using two nozzles, like bicolor or dual-material printing, the Dual Extrusion Module will stop working when filament runout is detected on either nozzle.

Q2: Temperature wise, what would be the upper limit?

A: The Snapmaker Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module‘s nozzle can reach 300℃.

Q3: Are the hot ends all metal?

A: The hot ends are not all-metal. In the inner structure of the hot end, the heating block and nozzle are all-metal structures. We use a PTFE tube connector inside the heat break, which can reduce the resistance during filament feeding and restrict the heat transfer to avoid filament jam in the heat sink.

Q4: Do you know if the Dual Extruder Module have any PTFE tubing connectors? If not then we will have the same problem as the single filament Module - the head is pooled (up) when the filament is being fed.

A: Yes, there are PTFE tube connectors. The PTFE tube in the Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module is placed inside the heat break (heat throat), away from the heated block, the temperature of the PTEF tube is about 60℃ when the nozzle is heated to 300℃, which can prevent the aging of PTEF.

Q5: By the way, the filament runout sensor also detects filament jam/stuck?

A: The filament runout detection sensor can’t detect the filament jam/stuck.

Q6: Would be especially nice if the nozzles are quick change, and the e-steps and k-factor could also be saved as a setting for quick activation at the same time.

A: The nozzles are quick-swappable, you can replace them within 55s. The e-step has been calibrated on the production line, so you don’t have to calibrate it yourself. Currently, you can’t adjust the k-factor or the e-step directly on the screen or in Luban, but you can change them via the g-code.

Q8: Same hotend parts as the Artisan module or the 2.0? Nozzle specs?

A: Yes, the same hotend parts. The Snapmaker Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module comes with 2 hotends (with the 0.4 mm nozzle). You can order the other types separately in our online store, we provide .2/.4/.6/.8 mm & hardened .4 mm nozzles.

Q9: Will the 2.0 have enough power to heat both nozzles sufficiently? Will the max extrusion temperature be less than the Artisian (if the 2.0 cannot handle the amperage required)?

A: Yes, the 2.0 can heat up both nozzles sufficiently. It only takes about 2.5 minutes to heat the nozzle to 300℃. As mentioned above, the max extrusion temperature is 300℃, the same as Artisan.

Q10: What changes to Luban will be made to allow choosing different filament types/colors for different parts of a model?

A: For models designed for bicolor or dual-material printing, you can directly assign different extruders (materials) to different parts.

Q11: I would expect a small sample pack with exciting examples in Luban to expand the users horizons. At least a small sample of (200-500g) PVA, CF-PETG, and something else special that only a multi-material user would think to use.

A: The Snapmaker Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module (for Snapmaker 2.0) comes with breakaway support filament (500 g) and the sample project will be a dual-material printing model (PLA + Breakaway Support).

Q12: I hope there is some option to have the outer layers change color so that you can save on more expensive filament using it only for the outer layers.

A: Hi, Luban has a “Shell” option that allows the first & top layers and outer walls to change color.

Q13: I just want to be able to control flow in the Printer, please.

A: The “Flow control” function will be added to the screen for Snapmaker Dual Extrusion 3D Printing Module. This feature is planned for V1.15.0, which will be released before customers receive the module.

Q14: Is the price point currently known?

A: Yes. The MSRP is 599 USD, pre-order price is 399 USD (including free shipping via international air transport). If you purchase the Dual Extrusion Module during Sep 27 - 30, you can get it for 369 USD!

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Melitta!

One question I have with regards to parts cooling. Both the initial version of the SM2 print head and the current version struggle to provide sufficient part cooling, which has led to some creative mods to try and fix the issue. Has any improvements been made to the part cooling fan system? How does it work in the new dual extrusion module?

From SM blog

## 4-Fan Cooling System for Heat Sink and Prints

The second pain other than removing support, has to be picking filament debris out from a jammed nozzle. Hopefully, you won’t have to deal with it for a long time with the Dual Extrusion Module. Each hot end has a dedicated fan blowing much needed wind from a blower, preventing your filament from melting prematurely in the heat sink, which invariably ends up clogging the hot end.

Another set of fans are located at the bottom right and left. They will keep your nozzles and prints cool. So whether you are putting a bold overhang, or with ABS/PA, dive in head first; you can adjust the fan speed later.

1 Like

Given that sometimes we have difficulty with bed levelling and tramming, what means does the dual extruder have for ensuring correct alignment between the two nozzles?

I will have to see the module working on the SM 2.0 series machines before committing my cash.

1 Like

What is the estimated preorder fulfillment timing? The 10W laser module took months.

@Melitta_Snapmaker, I have seen it mentioned in other posts that the Dual Extrusion Module will come with an additional spool holder for the 2.0. Do you have any photos of what this will look like?

Thank you!

Nick

1 Like

When you purchase the spare nozzles, do they come in pairs of 2?

Yay! Finally! Highly appreciated!

1 Like

Today is Sep 28th the cart shows 429E = ~428 $
why is that?

Euro prices include VAT sigh.

There is already information in the store :

The price includes the whole set - also a spool of Breakaway PLA Filament (~ 60 €) and mounting kit etc.
Considering that - the price is not that much terrible.I honestly thought it would be worse 

It’s 500g, so more like 30 $ - still, the Preorder price is just bearable (but only just
) IMHO, but list price is difficult to accept

I have one, but not attached to the machine or on the enclosure yet.

1 Like

The hotends are not selling by pairs, so when you choose 1 hotend, then you will receive one.

The EU price is 429 E, including VAT and shipping fee. The package will be shipped from China to EU using the international air transport with DDP service, so you don’t need to pay the customs.

1 Like

Oh, I did not get that! So, it is not a second single-spool holder, but a holder that replaces the old one and holds two spools! Nice, I like!

1 Like

Thank you! Looking forward to getting mine and trying it out.

To clarify a question you answered in your post, on the quick-swap hotends, is the nozzle able to be replaced with a different MK8 nozzle as previously done on the SM2?

I’d like to continue to use the CHT nozzles on this new module.

Thank you!

Hi, it’s still possible to replace the nozzle only for the Dual Extrusion Module, but we actually don’t recommend you replace it yourself if you are not an experienced guy in the 3DP world. Please notice that the user errors of nozzle replacement is not under our warranty. If you still greatly want to replace the nozzle yourself, please read on carefully to learn about what should you take care of when you replace the nozzle yourself.

To show you the whole process more clearly, I have asked my colleague to replace it and filmed a video. But the video is too big, so I uploaded it on Google Drive.
The link: How to replace nozzle.mp4 - Google Drive

As the video shows, you need to get the hotend fixed to a base or with a wrench, then use another wrench to remove the nozzle. When you install the nozzle, make sure that you use the nozzle of the same shape and diameter as the original one. And after you finish assembling, you need to check if you assembled it correctly. There should be a small gap between the nozzle and the heated block, and you can’t twist the nozzle by hand. If you over-screw or use a wrong shape nozzle, the nozzle will touch the heated block, it’s not right. Actually, in our factory, we will use a specific force and torque to screw the nozzle into the heated block to make sure that it’s not over-screwed or less screwed. Last but not least, to further ensure that you have installed the nozzle correctly, you need to print a model after assembling and keep an eye on it at least in the first 30 minutes to see if there is a leakage occurring between the heated block and the nozzle.
P.S I don’t remove the background sound, so you may hear some Chinese. Plz don’t mind. I have written all the information in the comments.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the video showing how to replace the nozzle. I tried to get a good look at the nozzle in the video, but I still can’t determine the replacement nozzle size from the information there. Is it an MK8 like on the 2.0, or is it Rip-Rap style? I would like to know what nozzles to buy as replacements.

Thank you again for the video.

So it was stated, that the dual extrusion module doesn’t need leveling, why is there a calibration card then? I thought this module has some new auto-leveling features.