Enclosure noise reduction - replace or dampen panels?

Any reason I shouldn’t be looking to replace or dampen the panels in the enclosure to help with noise? I’m already replacing the fans with ball bearing fans as suggested in other topics, but I didn’t see any topics addressing the possibility of attaching foam to the existing panels or simply replacing them with something that has more sound dampening properties, maybe even something I print. I’m fine if it’s opaque.

Many people have done this on FB.
No reason not to. Only thing to be aware of is that you don’t want to use anything that’s going to be flammable. Do a search for ‘sound board’ at Lowes or Home Depot etc.
Only caution is make sure your power supply has adequate air flow still.
-S

This is a sound transmission problem (as opposed to reflection or other). The three main ways of dealing with it are (1) sealing, (2) mass, and (3) isolation. Like every other form of insulation, the paths of least resistance can dominate transmission, which is why sealing is the first point.

Sealing means there are no air gaps where sound can propagate. The worst offenders are the front panel opening for the screen and any inlets or outlets for ventilation. Depending on what else you do with the side panels, it may be worth sealing the edges of the plastic panels within their grooves, particularly at the top. The seals on the hinged panels may need attention. Weatherstripping is a reversible method.

Mass is just that, extra mass that retards sound. As a rule, the more mass, the better the attenuation. Special soundproofing board obviously works, but so does foam board, MDF, and plywood. I recommend wrapping edges in felt to seal and to make a reversible installation. The mass rule also applies to the base. It would not be a bad idea to bolt the base casting onto something heavy like a concrete block. (This would help damp other vibrations in addition to those that make noise.)

Isolation decouples one vibrating part from another. The biggest offender in the SM is the base, which is thin and can resonate both to air and to its table. Get a block of the stiffest foam available and let the machine sit on that; take off the feet as they won’t be needed. Carpet padding may be adequate, but may not be stiff enough. Rubber isolation matting may also be useful. A thin isolation layer is also useful when adding high-mass panels to the sides and top.

Power supply is outside the enclosure and being dealt with by fan replacement. Thank you. I’m unlikely to dive into Facebook again, though I do use Reddit I haven’t found a lot of Snapmaker users there.

Thank you, this is helpful advice and background information so I can make some informed decisions.

sorbothane pads under the machine

yeah, right now it’s on a foldable hollow plastic table that can support 300lbs, but I’m sure is amplifying some noise like a speaker box lol I’ll be building a pedestal for it with storage beneath, and will consider these. And felt underneath that as well so it doesn’t turn the new pedestal into speaker either