Connect to hidden SSID

There doesn’t seem to be a way to connect my SN2 to my wifi network at home as the SSID is hidden (for security purposes).
Can you guys please add the option to manually enter the wifi connection details in a future release?

2 Likes

That is a good suggestion.

In the meantime, Mariaus, if you have control over that wifi router, you could temporarily un-hide it, join it with the SM2, then re-hide it… have you tried that? I’ve had to do that with other equipment before, and it did the trick…

Honestly - never tried that before or even thought of it…but the software on the machine should still be able to cater for situations like mine - I’m fairly sure that I’m not the only one with this issue.
I might give it a try eventually - but I’ve had my machine for two months now and haven’t even had a chance to test the laser or the CNC yet, simply because I’m too busy with work…
(hense I’d prefer the firmware be able to handle it for me)

But still, thanks for the tip…might be a usable workaround :slight_smile:

Hi, that’s a good suggestion. Will be reporting this to our team later this month.

1 Like

This workaround was feasible only until router got turned-off / restarted / power-outage appeared … afterwards it was necessary to repeat the process which in my case is not feasible long term solution :frowning:

2 Likes

Actually now it looks like the printer disconnects from the wifi the moment I “hide the wifi SSID”. So if I want to send the gcode via wifi I need to turn off the “SSID hide” feature - connect to the printer - confirm the connection request on printer - sent the file - turn the feature off.

1 Like

It seems that this is a new issue. We have not tested this condition and plan to do a test about it. The Wi-Fi connection feature will be improved continuously.

I will update the progress about this issue.
Best regards

2 Likes

I have the same problem and want to add my request for support to enter the SSID of a hidden network.

1 Like

As I understand it, hiding the SSID only improves security if you’re trying to keep random people off an open network. Use good passwords and then you don’t need to hide it.

Ira

Then your understanding regarding network security is completely wrong…that, and you’ve clearly never found an unknown device connected to your home wifi…?

And before you go there - yes, I used a 9 digit strong password…simply because I didn’t think I had to make the password stronger, however given time any brute force tool would eventually calculate it…which is the only way this could have happened.

If you broadcast your SSID, then any script kiddy can use free tools/apps to find out what your password is. If you hide the SSID as well, you make it twice as hard (not impossible), because now he/she needs to guess both the network name and its password.
(…in so doing, my wifi is more difficult to hack than my neighbours - so the idea is to make it just difficult enough so that they would leave my network alone and rather break into somebody else’s)

The next level up on this is to employ MAC address security, which means that on top of having to guess your SSID and its password, they would also have to use something to spoof a correct MAC address in order to gain access to your network.
I have not had the need to bump up to that level yet…but I have tools that monitor my network and let me know when new devices connect…and I watch it closely.

Of course there is additional layers of security that you can add, but I’m not going to get into that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just so you know, a hidden SSID is known in the industry[1] as “security through obscurity”.

A script kiddie as you put it can boot up a random copy of linux and determine the SSID.

Here’s some documentation on the process - took about 3 seconds to find:
http://www.thelinuxgeek.com/content/find-hidden-ssids

[1] In my day job I’m an IT consultant.

o

2 Likes

9 character passwords? I try never to use anything less than 30 random characters. Admittedly the password to my internal secure wireless is something I can remember, but still 32 characters long. MAC address security is also flawed as it’s trivially easy to spoof a MAC address. And no, I’ve never had an interloper on my network that I’m aware of. Secure passwords require length. On the stuff that matters, the SIP registrations for all my phones. both the names and passwords are more than 30 random characters. Long enough it’s not worth bothering.

Ira

I know…that is why I said it’s not impossible - I work in the IT industry as well. Like I said - all I had to do was to make mine more difficult to get into than the 11x other flats round mine… :slight_smile:
(…and monitor it for issues - which is automated anyway)

1 Like

If you can copy/paste the passwords over, then I agree with you - but I have to make it something that was easy to remember, and easy to use for my rather non-technical family when visiting.
Obviously after my incident I bumped up the amount of characters to an acceptable level, and it’s a hardened password that will defeat a brute force and library attack.

Like ITmaze mentioned - this can be easily bypassed if you know what you are doing…fortunately for me there isn’t anyone living around me/within range that I know who knows enough in order to do this

I’d also be interested in this ability to connect to a hidden SSID.

2 Likes

I am also in an environment with hidden SSID and would like to be able to manually setup a connection. So far I have had to do everything via USB.

2 Likes

Can you unhide your SSID temporarily and connect, then hide it again?
I haven’t bothered with a hidden one for years, but I believe I was able to do this at one point and it worked.

-S

Others tried that in this thread. Reports are it drops as soon as hidden again. Not worth the hassle at this point since I have a dedicated PC sitting next to the machine.

…did you report it, and what was the outcome - is it on the roadmap at least?
(unless it was implemented already and I just didn’t see it)

Ahhh I just got my SM2 … And my networks are hidden… Cannot connect. Odd, considering Android has no problems normally… Please fix.

1 Like