A350 Laser only uses the upper right-hand quadrant of build area

I have a Snapmaker 2.0 with the new 10W laser module. Recently I updated the firmware and now when I laser engrave or cut some reason it will only use the upper right-hand corner 1/4 of the build surface - even though in Luban my design takes up the entire surface. I’ve seen this happen before and assume that it’s human error on my part but any wisdom / insight anyone has as to how to fix with would be appreciated!

I’ve done the calibration, checked my work origin (center in luban and rechecked on the machine after loading the .nc file), and work size for the 3 axis job (x=320 y=350).

I camera captured to verify that my design is appropriately portioned and sized to the material.

But when I go to run the job it does it but at 1/4 the scale and always in the upper right-hand corner.

Any thoughts? Any other info that I might be able to provide to help debug this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

–Nick

This happened to me and I wasted too much time on trying to resolve the camera capture.

I’m still new at this so I’m just using a flat elevated board that is a square shape. I mention this because I don’t know if my workaround would work for more complex shapes. I just created an outline object to represent my surface then placed my image over it and only created an image toolpath for the image. First try doing that and it seems to be working right away.

I’d really like to be using the camera feature but I guess this will have to do until the issue is resolved. Seems like a good number of other people are just as frustrated over it.

I made a guide on how to have a repeatable origin because the camera capture was so bad. I have alignment squares for square things, an if they’re round or oddly shaped, I just make sure the outer edges are lined with the edges of my bed and I can visualize and align pretty much anything.

EDIT: I assume why it used the upper right corner for things done with the camera capture is because when you use the camera, it expects the origin in the lower left. However, by default, the snapmaker sets the laser origin to the center of the bed. So unless you directly go from the laser to workspace and begin, the lower left origin which SHOULD be the corner of the bed, is actually in the center. In my guide I mitigate this by putting G53 at the start of my gcode, which makes it move in machine coords, forcing the origin to ALWAYS be in the lower left.

Thank you for the guide @skreelink. I’ll check it out.

Yes, despite setting the origin to center, as soon as I add an image over the camera capture background, the origin resets to the bottom, left. When I did a Run Boundary, the actual shape and size outlined did not at all represent my surface. The laser head would outline off the platform by about 2 inches to the right and top and traced a rectangle instead of the 10in square of my actual surface.

I “fixed” it or at least was able to work around the issue. For whatever reason I have to set the work origin on the actual printer to the lower left-hand corner of the build area - after doing that for each job - when I run the boundary or run the job it runs as expected.

I’m going to keep playing with the settings and tooling to see if I can find anything. I’m also going to take a look at the luban source to see if anything, bugwise, sticks out.